Tuesday, September 20, 2011

First Impressions of JPN 101!

はじめまして、じゅん です! どうぞよろしく。

My name is Jun Takahashi, and I am excited to be taking Japanese 101 this year at Princeton University!

I was born in a city near Osaka, Japan but moved to California when I was only a year old. Although I grew up hearing and speaking Japanese at home with my family, I gradually found myself adopting English as my native language, as it was the predominant language I used for the majority of my life. 

Furthermore, my parents decided against enrolling me in any Japanese schools, so I have never had a formal Japanese education. Just this past summer, while visiting my grandparents in Osaka, I was frustrated by the numerous comments I received while I struggled to read basic hiragana books like Doraemon.

This semester, I am excited for the opportunity to solidify my background in Japanese, and especially to improve my writing ability and to expand my vocabulary. Even in the first two weeks of class, I can see that my handwriting still needs a lot of improvement, and I need to brush up on even the basics.

So, よろしくおねがいします! ガんばります!

3 comments:

  1. Wow. It must be interesting relearning the basics of a language you already have experience with. One day might seem entirely familiar, while the next totally strange. Good luck!
    じゃあ また。

    ReplyDelete
  2. こんにちは!ゴロンビアだいがくのミニアです。
    Hopefully next time you go to Japan you will be able to read your Doraemon :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read Doraemon as basic hiragana books, good idea!

    ReplyDelete